Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Nusa Lembogan day 2

If the surf is too big maybe there will be some time to snorkel on the other side of the island. You never know. It's amazing how it can change so drastically (the surf).....or not.....A small group of us got on some scooters to have a look-sie. What I love about Nusa is that most of the island survives off of sea weed harvesting, not soley tourism. People bugg you less. Seaweed, not sarongs or transport, although we did get jumped by three 8 year olds wanting there photo taken....then wanting money for it. Nice hustle boys. Seaweed. Something sustainable, and harvested everyday. 2,000 rupia per kilo. Basicaly about $1.80 USD per kilo. They literally have patches ropped off for the harvesting in the bay on the other side of the island. Instead of rice fields, there are hundreds of blue green seaweed lots. Harvested, separated by color, by spieces, and dried on tarps in the sun. It doesn't really stink. Surprised. It gets shipped off to China/ Japan for cosmetics and food. Year round. Although it grows slower in the rainy season.

So back to our snorkel adventure. Nope. None at the secret beach. The swell had wipped out alot the white sand. Waves breaking all over the place. The perfect place for some idiot to drown. Not Justin. Justin decides, it's perfect for a little dip and adventure. "K, you wanna snorkel?"...he says..you should have seen the look on my face. Are you out of your fucking mind? It looks like the napali coast on Kauai where they tell you not to swim. Sure enough he gets in....this will be interesting. I know the guy is a studd. Indiana Jones of the Pacific, but this was pushing my limits of comfort. I was worried for him and didn't want to play life guard. I figured I was the strongest swimmer in our group. Willing to go in after him. I really didn't want to, but if I had to. Not a second thought would cross my mind. I would have to go in too. Scared. Next he decides that just bobbing along in the high surf, isn't enough. He has to climb the cliff and then jump off when the water has filled into the bay. Ay, Dios! Insert...sign of the cross.

So after my little dip in the ocean, we head back to my place for some pool time and then it's off for a surf. Snorkeling is not on the list. I ended up paddling out to Playgrounds that afternoon. It was either all or nothing. I either get terribly sick or I get a good battle wound of reef rash to go home with. That's it. You just gotta suck it up and get out there. The swell had dropped, but Lacerations was still pumping, and Playgrounds was still a good 3 feet overhead on the sets. I could hear people on the pontoon hooting at all the boys getting barreled at Laceractions. I could also hear the fears of terrror as someone didn't make it. Chewed up and spit out. I sit on the shoulder of course at Playgrounds. Reef just does something to me. It takes away my courage, and then I have to go find it again. I have to hustle again amongst all the men. Not fun, but good experience. Ay, Dios! Only two waves...I'm happy. Time to head home.

Sure enough as I paddle in the side current is really strong. Great. I'm heading straight for the rocks at Coconut beach.....and everyone is watching....great. Don't panic, don't panic. Paddle your ass off to the inside and catch a wave in. Easier said than done. God I wish I had someone with me. Fuck....okay. I got it, I got it. I can finally exhale and relax. Back to Tamarind bay.

The sun is setting....the tide is really high, and waves are pumping. Line after line, after line. God I wish I had my camera. The scene was picturesque.

1 comment: