Thursday, September 17, 2009

Need 9 or 8 people.

I really want to help Ege go back to school. Ege is 20 years old and she lives in Ubud. Like many she works 2 jobs. Her life. Means....working 6am to 2pm in Sanur, then driving to Ubud for her second job from 3pm to 10pm. Wake up the next day and do it all over again. I can see her 5 years from know looking more ragged and aged by 10 years with this schedule. If she only works on job one day, then she works in the rice fields either in the morning or in the afternoon with her mother and father. Work, work, work....She really likes to learn and asks me all kinds of questions about my lap top. I can tell she is smart. Her English is decent, but could use a little more refining. School costs. 10 million rupia per year. I can't afford to pay for it all by myself, but I have the idea of trying to get 9 or 8 other people who would like to sponsor Ege by contributing $10/ month for her schooling. I want to see if my friend Ketut (Donna) will mentor her and make sure that she is getting good grades. I want to make sure that Ege is holding her end of the bargain and will have to turn her grades into Ketut. A check and balance system. I know I will be back to Bali to check up on her. I am pretty sure that I could wire a monthly payment to Harold (Bali Reef Project) through paypal for her schooling or maybe visit her school of choice to see if there would be a way to pay the funds directly. Not sure. But taking all this one step at a time. I want to help her help herself. To become more educated, so that she can have one good job and possibly take better care of her family. Have more time to enjoy this life, because it is so short. She only gets one day off to clean her home and do errands. So, this is my proposal. I need 9/ or eight people to commit. No half ass or bailing on this one if you want to committ. I don't want to promise something and then not deliver. Let me know if you are interested. Why her you may ask???? I guess all I have to say is....why not. Why not give it a try? We give because we are in a position to give and without giving, life cannot give back to us. I don't know why I have been so blessed in this life, but I am very greatful.

4 comments:

  1. Rena, Count ME in!! :) Love ya, xo Jana

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Copy the link to this blog post and paste it in your Facebook and it could connect it to all your friends....maybe your 8-9 people could be....10-15 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me in, Korina. Betty Belts will help Ege!
    Will arrange to have everything done in Bali with Ketut, who manages my biz there, as you know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Korina
    Love what you are doing, and I would love to meet you. I live in Ubud and am a FB friend of David and Donna's.
    Give me a call at 081353248744.
    Love
    Amana
    www.SkillsForHumanity.org

    ReplyDelete