Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Last night at Nusa Lembogan

Had a great time. Blackie is a great host. He's the favorite uncle. Born into a family of seven. The middle child. The nephews love him. Spoils his mother and his friends. A very giving soul. Has alot of good friends and has people come to stay with him from all over the world. We had a good conversation about the Bali Reef Project. What are you doing??? Why don't you get paid????This is very puzzling to the Balinese. Working for free??? Nothing is free to them. I literally have to explain this concept to many educated Balinese, so I get it. It's absoutely absurd to them. They understand the giving part...but for free.....not getting it. They think we should have an office, with a proper paid staff. Yeah, I get that...but not if the money isn't there. They point to Surfaid as an example. If Surfaid can pay people, why can't we. One woman had the absurdity to want a cut from any government funding we could recieve. She could be our contractor because she has a family to support. We should understand that....yeah, I get it, but I still go back to the definition of VOLUNTEER. I think she missed the part where we weren't trying to twist her arm into helping us. NON-PROFIT....remember. Why don't we just pay some official off in the government sector ourselves and contribute to goverment corruption??? Smart lady....definetly a business woman. I just have to smile and laugh at the same time. It's absurd, but yet creative. Gotta love Bali.

If Blackie had his way he would first put more money into the local schools, then build a hospital, then create a recycling/ trash program...all on Nusa. Why the hell should they put the reefs first? Crazy and a waste of time...he says. Did I mention that the beaches are currently littered with broken coral. Everywhere......I collected a couple pieces hoping that the scientist could put some names to the different spieces for me. All dead and adrift from the recent swell. Alot of it is used in sea walls...mixed with concrete, and to separate properties. At least the dead stuff is being used for something....but not sure about the bigger pieces I see. Don't ask. It will just make me sad.

It seems pointless to Blackie for me to want to save the reefs. The people aren't educated. They don't care or they don't understand. Good point. Education is key. All we can do is keep trying. But Blackie believes that he is a small man. Not important. How could he ever change anything? He has a great idea for a trash pick-up project, that would create a couple small jobs...but then where does the trash go anyways. Of course the cheif would have to approve of a place to dump it all. What then...they just burn it anyways. But then again..he isn't rich. Blackie does good for himself, but he isn't rich. Everyone else is rich....rolex watches...louis vitton. Yeah, he knows the name brands. He's not stupid. If you aren't rich...you can't get anything done around here. I can see his point. It seems like such a huge hurdle. I don't know how to convince someone that everyone has a voice and an opportunity to create a change. I think he would be a perfect candidate to create change. He has been exposed to so many things. He speaks english very well. He's a local. The only Blackie on the island. Everyone knows Blackie. You get lost...just ask for Blackie. You'll find him. The words just aren't there to motivate. I can't find them in my throat. Hopefully the right situation will present itself...where you can show him, that he has the power to create change. To be a leader. He would be a great leader and advocate for anything on that island.

My energy is very drained right now, but my hope isn't lost. My body is tired. But my heart is really opening up to understanding all of this. You can't loose hope. You see so much trash on the beach. I counted 30 water bottles alone on the small secret beach from snorekling the other day. I ask myself...why did I choose a 3rd world country? Why did I choose this experience. There's trash everywhere. I know, I know.....Its so easy to want to give in and just count the days until I come home. But I don't want that. I don't want to just put up with it for now and then forget about it later. I want to see this change, because I have friends here. They consider you there extended family. It's going to take a miracle to change anything around here....how do you create long lasting change.....For some crazy reason...I'd rather have it the hard way and keep trying. Swim against the current. Keep trying.

So tonight, Blackie and I are off to get some drinks and meet up with Justin and Troy. Five bintangs later, and some beef strogonoff...and a bigger group...lots of fun. Good conversations. I have no idea how I am going to get up in the morning and surf. Ugh....dehydrated, and now too much beer. Still sick. Not a good idea, but hell. You gotta live it up. I'm gonna miss this place. But hopefully I will be back before I leave for home and see Blackie again.

No comments:

Post a Comment