Saturday, September 19, 2009

Earthquake

So we had an earthquake yesterday morning around 7am. It felt like at least a 4.0. The origin of theearthquake was right in Nusa Dua...only 20 minute drive away from Sanur. I woke up to the rumbling, of course everyone else is already up by 6am, except for me. Poked my head out the door wrapped in my bed sheet to see what was going on. I was more afraid of the strength of my room than anything else and pictured the ceiling caving in if the quake got stronger. Everything shook pretty good. Tina was absoultely frightened and called for me to run outside when she caught sight of me at my door. Obediently I ran out in nothing but my bed sheet. Classic....toga style. It was slightly embarrassing..one because I was still in bed, and two because I was naked under my bed sheet, except for little Gastel, who was completely nude in the middle of the patio while her mother continued to give her a bath. Being from Santa Barbara County and growing up with earthquakes was not something scary to me. I was more afraid of the integrity of my Balinese bedroom. Tina and my Balinese family were terrified. They still remember the sunami a couple years ago that wipped out thousands of people and now there are signs all over the island that display...run for the hills, with a giant wave behind the image of the person. Straight to the point, and necessary. Later that day and evening we did not encounter anymore tremors, so hopefully that is it and everything can get back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment