Friday, September 11, 2009

The Balinese are always happy....false

My new friend Made Parta....works at a stand renting bicycles and selling sarongs. We had a wonderful long talk the other night. He has been a wealth of local knowledge and he speaks good english. I think I will go back and hang out with him to talk some more.
Never say " I'll be back tomorrow"....to buy anything. They literally believe you will be back and it's a let down. They hope that you will. Everyday for them is the same old thing. Making a living off of "I'll be back tomorrow". So, keep your word if you intend to be back tomorrow. If you don't want to buy something...just be honest and say, no thank you. Life is hard here. It's a beautiful place, but life is hard. Nothing is assured.
The Balinese people get depressed too. It's tight quarters here in Sanur. The town has a heart beat that is like constantly running a marathon. Sleep by 8pm, up by 5am. Ceremony, work and family. Busy, busy bee's.
I think I am finally adjusting to the pace...except for my cold and those fucking roosters.
K

2 comments:

  1. That last sentence is a crack-up. Just keep your humor about you...you'll be fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. David and I are much enjoying your blog. I read all your posts out loud to him and we are cracking up.
    You will get used to the roosters all too soon and then the natural alarm clock won't work any more and you'll need to start using your iphone alarm again.
    Smiles and love from D&D in Ventura!

    ReplyDelete