Thursday, October 8, 2009

Seminyak

Seminyak. So Seminyak is right up the street from Kuta, and Legian. Without sugar coating it…it’s basically more upscale,and is the melting pot of many expats from the 80’s early 90’s. If you start to read the local magazines, a lot of the articles revolve around successful business owners in Seminyak. Chef’s, Spa owners, jewelry designers, and models. Seminyak has nicer restaurants, more lounges, more modern art with island twist, and is a great place for shopping. I bought two big ass silver rings the other day before leaving Sanur. I knew I wasn’t going to be back and I knew I wasn’t going to be able to remember the name of this shop. I can’t help it. I take after my grandmother without a doubt. I can see her possibly wanting to steal my aquamarine ring. Just to give you an idea….the stone is the size of maybe a silver dollar???? Gotta love it. It’s a lot of bling, and I don’t want to give the locals the wrong impression….like I am some rich tourist. Tourist yes….rich….depends on how you define rich….

In Seminyak you aren’t as hassled here. But you can still walk the main road and hit up a top resort/spa villa like Prana for yoga or a treatment…..and then you can walk a couple more feet and hit up the local beauty salon. I kinda like a mixture of both. I’ve paid big bucks for a treatment at one of the more popular spa’s and then the next week, gone to a local salon for a manicure. I like them both equally, but I think you are just paying more for the atmosphere. I could be wrong, but the people are equally as nice and hospitable. I’ve also visited a local vegetarian joint. The food was really good, and had a mediteranian twist. My favorite! Hummus, taboule, pita and falafel. The small local joints can still co-exhisit here. I don’t think that will be here in the next 5-10 years. I think they might get pushed out by new development. A lot of development is happening in Bali. In 15 years this place will be very different. Lots of money is coming in here. It will be interesting to see how the locals react to modernization. What everyone about this island could get squashed out….it’s funny how we can love something so much and still kill it

No comments:

Post a Comment