Thursday, October 1, 2009

Lion's breath

So, I have been feeling much better. My body has almost returned to a healthier state, but my soul feels tired. I decided to take a yoga class. I couldn't deny that part of me that searches for a spiritual connection, and its hard to quiet the mind amongst so many distractions in the city. I haven't done any yoga for the past 6 months. I used to take class at work every Tuesday and Thursday for a full year. I also used to meditate regularly as well, but I just haven't been making the time for it. Being a person of such a sensitive nature, meditation helps me feel much more grounded and on track. To go to a place that lives deeper within the body, and to come home.

I spontaneously took a taxi to Prana Villa for a vinyasa yoga class. Prana is a beautiful Hindu inspired luxury resort. The yoga studio was huge, dimmly lit with incense, star windows, a giant ganesh, and star shapped lanterns. Almost like you have been transported to India. My instructor, Amanda who was this blonde, fit, tan quirky Aussie with a sultry commanding voiced, seemed to read me instantly. It's like she could read my face that I was pale. I wasn't glowing. My soul like a flame, was very dim. It was funny....she called me her angel warrior. How can someone be an angel and a warrior at the same time? Not sure, but it does sum up my mission here in Bali. Right away she had me lay on the mat, on my back and put a bolster under my rib cage...to open my heart chakra. Perfect. Just what I needed. I was starting to close myself off. Did I mention that Amanda makes these insane breathing noises. If you close your eyes it almost sounds like she's orgasiming...or in labor...or weighting lifting. Inside I was tickled with laughter and I felt embarrassed to actually allow myself to breath the same...but then she introduced me to lion's breath. I could tell I was holding back from the experience, and like I said...Amanda seemed to know it as well. She could read me like a book. I knew she was going to bring it out of me. The life breath, that we hold inside until it is stuck building up in our throats until we can't hold it in anymore.

Going from downward dog and into Lion's breath. Holding your head down towards your navel, and taking a deep breath....then letting it out like a soft roar. Allowing all the muscles in your mouth to let go, open up wide and let this breath come from the pit of your belly. It felt really good. I could picture myself as a lionness. Roaring after a kill on the sahara. Letting out all that you are holding in, that is dimming my flame.

After 45 more mintues of some serious vinyasa flow yoga, and sweating profusely, I was a new person. Stronger, self assured, re-energized, and glowing. I had come home.

So the reason I share this story is because I feel that meditation and yoga may have a place for everyone in all walks of life. Really good yoga instructors are like nurses. They nuture the soul and the body that you have chosen as your vessile in this life. Yoga is the body and soul connection. The life breath that flows through the soul ,becoming life force and energy you share with the world.

No matter how far we may travel from home in the physical sense, there is a way to find our way home within ourselves. This is what this experience reminds me. The body that houses the soul. Welcome home.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Korina! You said it so well. It makes me want to go to a yoga class RIGHT NOW. I, too, have been neglecting my inner self a bit...being disconnected from that part of me that IS the core of me. Thank you for your reminder of how important it is!
    P.S. Looking forward to seeing you upon your return angel warrior!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angel warrior seems very aprapos KK, glad that you are feeling better, have fun on your upcoming adventures but come home safe as your friends miss you.

    ReplyDelete