Thursday, October 8, 2009

Kuta Kuta

Shitty pictures. It’s really not a good idea to purchase a new camera right before a big trip. The sun here is something to battle. Not only to make sure you don’t burn the hell out of your skin, but also not to over expose your pictures. I have been playing around with my camera a lot lately, and nothing seems to come out satisfactory. Everything looks like a 5 year old could have done better. Blurry, over exposed, and intense sun…Today I went out to the point to work with my housing unit and play with the camera settings. Some of the local kids were out in the water surfing and I always like to try to get pictures of the kids from under the wave; behind the take off, under the water. It’s really pretty to see the wave shape from this point of view and also the fins of the boards as they go down the line. Once the camera is in the housing unit, it’s really a pain in the ass to make any adjustments. It’s like going back to a single point and shoot. No adjusting once you’re in the water. So, I think it’s time to put money into something I will actually be satisfied with. Capturing everything on this trip will have to live inside my brain and hopefully like a movie, I can call on the experience with vivid expression.


Last week I went to Kuta. I don’t really care for Kuta. It’s great for people watching, and it is a great tourist trap or destination…but I think Kuta is kinda trashy. Going to Kuta reminds me of going to the mall. Stores with all the popular name brands (Ripcurl, Billabong, Paul Smith, Sanuk), cheap discounts, all the mainstream tourist crap, loud music, and entertaining shiny things at every corner. People from all walks of life spewing from every street, looking for something to keep them satisfied. Girls with braided hair and bikinis. Tons of the surf crowd in the usual uniform…board shorts, sunglasses, and a Bintang tank top. You can have everything you want. Kuta beach reminds me of Baywatch. Massive amounts of people sun bathing on the beach. When I arrived, I actually had no idea what I was getting myself into. The lifeguards in speedos, and sunglasses. It’s actually interesting to watch…..how a speedo changes a man….how a man puffs up his chest, sticks out his ass and finds a very specific stance in order to make the best impression on the sun bathing tourists. Don’t forget about all the tattoos and cigarettes. Being asked to buy something, or get a massage. There’s no escaping it, unless you retreat Kuta all together. But that’s a lot of Bali. Nusa Lembogan is different.

I walked around Kuta for a bit. Trying to find a couple dive shops, but gave up after an hour. The buildings are much taller, making it harder to navigate through the tight streets. I had no idea where I was going. Plus, Kuta caters to the surf crowd, not the likes of the dive crowd. So being there to represent the Bali Reef Project for volunteer support…seemed like a waste of my time. To enjoy Kuta, I think you need to have a beer in hand, possibly a cigarette in the other, and a posse of your closest friends. A couple of the locals were surprised to hear that I didn’t have fun or enjoy Kuta. Why? I can do the same thing at home. Get wasted, go dancing, flirt with men. Why? So I can say that I experienced Kuta, like it’s some Bali right of passage. It all depends on what you are into. The real Bali cannot be found in Kuta. Kuta is Disneyland for the tourists. It’s like when people come to the US from Europe and they head straight to Hollywood, or go to Vegas, or take there kids to Disneyland. It’s just the thing to do. Someone else can live my Kuta experience for me. I think Seminyak is more my style for drinks and entertainment if that’s what you’re craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment